|Evaluation Criteria||Peb Building||Concrete Building|
|Fabrication||Precise fabrication: Members fabricated in a controlled environment and up to 50% saving in fabrication time on site.||Fabrication done on site; Requires building the reinforcement cage and shuttering work prior to pouring.|
|Delivery and Logistics||Can be delivered in desired sequence anywhere in the world.||Might have to build batch plant on site if site is secluded or huge.|
|Installation Time||50% saving in construction time. Fast Installation with no idle time.||Slow and time consuming: The contractor will have to wait for the previous cast to harden (14-28 days) before being able to cast next batch.|
|Quality||Quality of steel is guaranteed because|
- It is a homogeneous product.
- Pieces are tailored according to shop drawings.
- Precise machinery is used for fabrication.
- It is fabricated under shop control.
- Quality is not affected by weather conditions
|Many factors lead to quality deterioration|
- Concrete is not a homogeneous product.
- Concrete mix ingredient ratios are difficult to maintain.
- Quality of water used may vary.
- Weather conditions.
- Labor experience in pouring.
- Adequate use of vibrators.
- Using proper curing methods.
- Concrete shrinkage.
- High manpower count may weaken control.
|Cost||Savings of 10%-15% for large span steel building.||Construction cost is high at site.|
|Industrial Applications||Saving on maintenance cost: Can easily handle equipment such as multiple cranes within building. Sways can be controlled. Precision can be achieved during installation.||Heavy equipment usage such as cranes is limited.|
|Commercial & Infrastructure Applications||Better aesthetics and longer spans can be achieved using steel as building component.||Limited designs are possible with concrete.|